Saturday 9 July 2022

Okuti - Day 1 PM

Ours was the first stop, Xakanaka, and 6 of us got off.  

Whilst it was nice to have a firm staircase to disembark, the pilot never turned the engines off and so the draught from the propellers was to strong it practically blew me off the steps.


Our plane taking off again for its next stop, probably just 5 mins later.


Okuti camp has a 4 per vehicle policy and as the other group were 4 (more later) it seems we have once again “lucked out” (never have understood that phrase) and we have a vehicle and guide to ourselves.

Our guide Jonah looks about 12 but actually is 27 and with him was Chillie who had just started at the camp and was learning the area.    Although it was only about 1500, Jonah said we weren’t going straight to camp but would be doing our first game drive, which was a little disappointing as it’s nice to get settled in.  But shortly after driving away from the airstrip we passed a small lake in a wooded area and Jonah commented that the other people there looked like they needed help and would we mind if he stopped to check.  Bells rang in my head as it reminded me of Kaingo in South Luanga, Zambia!  The camp manager and a couple of staff were there with a table groaning with pastries and cake, including a special egg free one for me.   I explained my complicated and confusing dietary requirements (which are impossible to put on paper) and Ian shared the cake they’d made especially for me.




After a welcoming and refreshing cup of tea we headed off for our drive.   The camp is in the Moremi National Park so we’ve been warned to expect more vehicles around than we are used to on the conservancies.

The first animal we saw was this, I know totally out of focus and practically unrecognisable, but it is a Honey Badger.  These fearsome creatures are usually nocturnal and we are so lucky to have seen him, I just wish I'd got a clear shot.  


Moremi Game Reserve, or certainly the part we are in, is very different to Mashatu; very much less exposed and far more wooded with tall grasses which might make game viewing a little tricky.  A few shots of animals/birds we managed to see this afternoon.

Chacma Baboon, the baby looks just like a little old man.



We then came across a couple of youngish elephants which at first seemed quite happy and normal.



But then suddenly there was an awful lot of head shaking going on, although I'm not entirely sure my shutter speed was fast enough to capture the ears.



And they started to behave quite oddly, almost attacking a tree stump.


I've no idea what's happening here.


Slightly concerned my elephants have turned a little blue!




Then along came this little cutie.


Who looked at us as though she'd never seen a truck/humans before.


There are an awful lot of seemingly dead trees in this area too.


Lone Impala (I think stray branches/grasses are going to be a recurring feature here).


Two different starlings here - Meve's, as we've seen at Mashatu over the last week.


And Cape Glossy, the most common species, with orange-yellow eyes.


Quite a way in the distance perched on a tree, lit by the glorious afternoon sunshine, was this Malachite Kingfisher - I waited an age with my finger poised on the trigger before getting these shots.


Then, joy of joys, it just turned slightly for this beautiful portrait (shame about the ubiquitous branch).


The landscape is absolutely beautiful in places; obviously a lot of water around and with the dead trees, blue skies and reflections it was just lovely.




These are Red Lechwe, a species of antelope we've never seen before which inhabit the regions' floodplains - hoping for a closer/better shot before I leave.


Pied Kingfisher


African Darter aka Snake Bird


African Fish Eagle


I think after these last 3 shots I definitely need to invest in the R7 Crop Sensor camera as I'm just too far away for a reasonable crop.

Next up a troop of Vervet Monkeys

   
At first glance these two youngsters appeared to be just playing.



But we realised quite quickly it was a serious scrap going on; biting, scratching, pinching etc.





Meanwhile this little one was doing his exercises.




I can't remember what this one was gazing so intensely at, but just look at that ram-rod tail!


I've said before how I like to add my own narrative to photos:

R Monkey:  "I'm so worried, I really don't know what to do about xxx"
L Monkey:  (sighsLook we've been through this a dozen times, just don't worry about it and stop  
                      picking your fingers"


(mmm thinking about it, that could be a conversation between me and Ian!)

Lone Bull Elephant 



We then stopped at one of Jonah's favourite places for our first sundowner (included, so it would be rude to say No!)



Jonah left and Chillie right - despite their young ages they we're both very good guides.


Very impressive set up for carrying the drinks/glasses but unfortunately the snack was biltong.



Another ALT (animal like thing) - two crocs with their mouths open.


And then the real thing.


As always, I am repulsed and fascinated with these creatures in equal measures; they are so prehistoric.


 African Jacana



African Spoonbills and Yellow Billed Storks with the black wing tips


Some more massive crops.

Black-winged Stilt


Little Egret


Three Banded Plover admiring itself.



The sun was setting as we headed back to camp.  I'd love to be out at night to do some astro photography, the dead trees would make wonderful focal points.




Spoonbills, I think, heading for their roosting spot.


This dreadful picture was taken in almost complete darkness and at a huge distance so I've run it through my denoise software.  The only reason for inclusion is it's another animal we've not seen before - Side Striped Jackal.


And I couldn't let the afternoon pass without including my favourite, unmistakable even without any colour.


Well it feels like it's been a long day - now to see what our accommodation is like.